Apple’s Discover My app has been a really helpful (and reassuring) function, permitting you to find a misplaced (or stolen) telephone with the intention to retrieve it (or contact the authorities, if that’s safer). With the growth of Discover My to a wide range of different objects, particularly by way of Apple’s AirTags, it’s change into much more helpful.
And now that iOS 15 brings with it the potential to find your telephone even when the battery has run out or it’s been turned off — if you happen to’ve obtained the precise telephone — the utility of Discover My has change into even better.
It is possible for you to to find a shut-off telephone you probably have the next:
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Professional / iPhone 11 Professional Max
- iPhone 12 / iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12 Professional / iPhone 12 Professional Max
- iPhone 13 / iPhone 13 Mini
- iPhone 13 Professional / iPhone 13 Professional Max
You’ll know that this function is energetic if, if you shut your telephone down, you see the phrase “iPhone Findable After Energy Off” below the power-down toggle.
ACTIVATE THE FIND MY APP
In case you’re new to the iPhone or have by no means arrange the Discover My app but, right here’s the way you begin:
- Go to your settings, faucet in your identify, after which on “Discover My.”
- Faucet on “Discover My iPhone.”
- Toggle “Discover My iPhone” on. When you have upgraded to iOS 15, you can too activate “Discover My community,” which can allow you to discover your telephone even when it’s offline. “Ship Final Location” will ship the situation of your iPhone to your Apple account when the battery is about to die.
And that’s it! After that, if you happen to can’t discover your iPhone, then you’ll be able to observe it both by utilizing the Discover My app on a Mac (or one other iPhone, you probably have one) or on any browser by going to iCloud.com/discover and signing in utilizing your Apple ID.
In case you’re utilizing the net model, then you definitely’ll see a inexperienced dot that locates your iPhone. Choose the dot after which the circled “i” (for data), and also you’ll be given the selection of getting your telephone play a sound, erasing it, or placing it on “Misplaced Mode.” In “Misplaced Mode,” you’ll be able to enter a telephone quantity the place you might be reached and a message (“Please return this telephone asap!”). After that, the telephone can be locked till you reenter its passcode.
In case you’re utilizing the Discover My app, you’ll get mainly the identical options (besides in a extra aesthetically pleasing kind), together with map instructions on how you can get to your telephone.
And sure — if you happen to’re utilizing iOS 15 in your iPhone, it is possible for you to to find it even when it’s run out of battery energy or has been shut off.
(Notice: you can too use the Discover My app to assist with your individual safety — to share your location with people and ship recurring notifications of if you depart and arrive. Yow will discover instructions for setting that up in our article “How you can use iPhone’s location monitoring.”)